Thursday, June 29, 2017

Sinposium: Done!

Last weekend was the Monarchs' Sinposium educational event at Threshold we put on. Lizzie and I presented, as we mentioned in our previous post. Below are our accounts of the presentation.

This presentation was almost a year in the making. Last June, Lizzie and I went to Thunder in the Mountains. We really enjoyed some of the presentations we went to and thought others were a bit blah. It got us talking on the flight home from Denver about how we could should consider sharing our experience (and experiences) with others. By the time we got home I had set a goal to speak at a kink conference within one year. Attending Thunder in the Mountains last year, Craig was inspired by the presentations to try something other than our blog to share our experiences with others in the lifestyle. We started tossing ideas back and forth. We even developed a rough outline of what we might present for Silent Scenes before we left Denver. The background research for the presentation took a bit more work, as we discussed in our last post.
After brainstorming different topics, one rose to the top as being distinctive: Silent Scenes. I began working on an outline not long after and then spent time researching the technical aspects of the presentation. I felt once I had the structure of the talk together I could start pitching it to different conferences. Little did I know that the very group I am a proud member of, the Monarchs, would be putting on our own lay-long event months later.

As the Monarchs began planning Sinposium, I pitched the group my talk idea. I got positive feedback from everyone. No one had heard such a topic presented at conferences in the past. I was on the agenda.

Months passed by and I worked on the presentation when I had spare time. As it got closer to the event, Lizzie and I pulled together our research, purchased the dB meter we needed as a necessary prop/demonstration tool for the talk, and finalized the presentation.

Last Saturday was the event. The day progressed well with strong presentations on different subjects. Then it was our turn! Up to the front of the room we went and I launched into our Silent Scenes presentation, complete with an excellent slide show (if I do say so myself). Lizzie was my demo bottom. We had volunteers come up to help with other aspects of the talk, and by the time our hour was up, everyone was quite complimentary with how it turned out.




I'm proud of the fact we set a goal for ourselves and did it. Now that we know we have a good presentation on our hands, testing on a great audience at Sinposium, we are eager to share it again at other kink conferences around the country.

Last Sunday, the day after the event, Lizzie and I were already brainstorming our next presentation topics, ready to do more.

Glad we did it and happy to give back to the community that brought Lizzie and I and some of our very best friends together.
We had a really good time presenting at Sinposium. We’ve already started working on ideas for different presentations we could give. We’ve enjoyed sharing our experiences through our blog and we look forward to engaging with the community in new ways.

I really enjoy being a demo bottom, especially when I’m not required to speak up in front of a group. But we’re working on that, so we should be able to present on a wider variety of topics and adventures we’ve encountered in the scene. It’s fun to work together in this way, from brainstorming to the presentation.

Is there a topic you’d like to see presented? Drop us a line or leave us a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment